I tend to avoid Tex-Mex food because it is so heavy and leaves me feeling like I’ve eaten a tank.
Then I made Sweet Potato Enchiladas from Oh She Glows cookbook and I discovered crazy delicious, digestible enchiladas.
Casting about for something to take to a friend’s house for the Superbowl today, enchiladas seemed to be a Superbowlish kind of food.
I was astonished at how fast they were eaten, from the 3 year-old and up, everyone enjoyed them.
- Make it vegan: use 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils instead of ground meat
- Make it spicy: keep the poblano seeds or add 1/4 – 1/2 red pepper flakes
- Make it chicken: use chopped up leftover (or rotisserie) chicken instead of ground meat
I use this Enchilada Sauce
Gimme Some Oven: Red Enchilada Sauce
Next time I’ll make a double recipe and save half for a second dinner later in the week.
1. Shepard pie with mashed sweet potatoes OR
2. Stuff a spaghetti squash (scoop out seeds first), sprinkle cheese on top and cook in oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
I’ve discovered it’s easy to make taco seasoning. I double the recipe (without onion powder or garlic powder simply because I never have any) from Family Fresh Meals and keep it in a small mason jar.