Going local for the variety, delicious ripe and nutrient-rich seasonal produce.
Local, luscious red strawberries have SO much more flavor than those shipped hundreds of miles. And strawberries are good mood red foods. But because of pesticide overuse, strawberries rank #1 on the Dirty Dozen list. Another reason to go local. Although they may not be labeled “organic”, local farmers generally follow organic practices.
- Basic: Toss sliced (or diced) cucumbers and strawberries with 1/4 cup chopped mint or basil, fresh lime juice and olive oil to taste
- Green salad: toss it all together with greens (arugula, spinach, lettuces, shredded kale). Or serve over the greens for a pretty presentation
- Mix and match: add diced tomatoes. Or red bell peppers. Make up your own combinations 😊
- Full meal: toss with 1 cup of quinoa or other grains (brown rice, barley)
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- Soft goat cheese or feta cheese
You can “stretch” the organic strawberries by adding either tomato or red bell pepper to make it more cost-effective.