Mini-chef asked what salad I was making. I answered “green and red – spinach, red cabbage and pomegranate. Lots of color, lots of vitamins.” She has a keen interest not just in helping cook, but in the ingredients that go into our food.
Once the salad came together she said, “ you know mama, it’s green and purple.”
Red or purple, the colors make this not only pretty, but powerful: every one of these ingredients are superfoods loaded with phytochemicals (natural plant chemicals, antioxidants and minerals that boosting our immune system and ward off disease. Even healthy factors aside, the flavors and texture are a feast to the palate.
This salad would be a wonderful addition to a Christmas dinner or other holiday menu.
- Baby kale or arugula instead of baby spinach.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries instead of pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion instead of green onion
- Sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pistachio or chopped pecan instead of pumpkin seeds
- Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of shredded red cabbage (I use a mandolin) or 1/4 cup of grated beet