- For a vegan version use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth – both in the polenta and in the mushroom ragout. Skip the Parmesan
- For a meat version, add 8 oz ground beef (or turkey, or bison) and sauté with onion and mushrooms
I make a double recipe of the mushroom ragout and freeze half to use another day.
Can serve it with pasta or over Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (simply mash the same amount of cooked potatoes and cooked cauliflower, add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, salt and pepper to taste).
Sometimes I make extra polenta for breakfast with eggs.
- Press remaining polenta onto a buttered baking sheet, cover and refrigerate over night
- In the morning put into preheated broiler for 5 – 8 minutes until edges start to crisp. Meanwhile make a couple of eggs, sunny side up or poached.
- Served eggs over polenta
- Can also add arugula or baby spinach between the polenta and egg