SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods that will Change Your Life
by Steven Pratt
About the Author
Steven G. Pratt, M.D., FACS, is a world-renowned authority on the role of nutrition and lifestyle in the prevention of disease and optimizing health. He is a senior staff ophthalmologist at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, Calif., and an assistant clinical professor at the University of California at San Diego. Pratt is the author of SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life.
Why I Like this Book
- This was one of the first books several years ago that strengthened my intuitive notion that good foods promote health and some foods provide more nutrition than others.
- I like the brief introduction in simple language that explains how “The right foods can actually change the course of your biochemistry. They can help to stop damage at the cellular levels that can develop into disease.” And more than stopping disease, food choices based on super foods early improves quality of life, particularly in the second half of our lives.
- It was my first introduction to Phytonutrients—“Nonvitamin, nonmineral components of foods that have significant health benefits. Some help facilitate the ability of our cells to communicate with one another. Some have anti-inflammatory abilities; some prevent mutations at the cellular level. Some prevent the proliferation of cancer cells.”
- I appreciate the simple listing of the benefits of the fourteen superfoods (and their “sidekicks”) and the suggestions how to incorporate more into everyday life.
By eating the 14 superfoods highlighted in Dr. Steven Pratt’s instant bestseller, you can actually stop the incremental deteriorations that lead to common ailments and diseases.
- Beans—reduce obesity
- Blueberries—lower risk for cardiovascular disease
- Broccoli—lowers the incidence of cataracts and fights birth defects
- Oats—reduce the risk of type II diabetes
- Oranges—prevent strokes
- Pumpkin—lowers the risk of various cancers
- Wild salmon—lowers the risk of heart disease
- Soy—lowers cholesterol
- Spinach—decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease and age-related macular degeneration
- Tea—helps prevent osteoporosis
- Tomatoes—raise the skin’s sun protection factor
- Turkey—helps build a strong immune system
- Walnuts—reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
- Yogurt—promotes strong bones and a healthy heart
SuperFoods Rx includes recipes created by Chef Michel Stroot of the Golden Door Spa and teaches you how to incorporate SuperFoods and their sidekicks into your diet. SuperFoods Rx is an indispensable guide to a healthy, long, and energetic life.