Imagine a force field of protection around our body that reduces the risk of everything from colds to cancer and gives us exceptional health throughout life.
That force field is Super Immunity and it comes from superior nutrition. Superior nutrition comes from plants. Complicated life forms, plants contain thousands of complex biochemical compounds (phytochemicals) important for their growth and survival. The human immune system evolved over thousands of years dependent on these phytochemicals for optimal immune function.
The most nutrient-dense foods for our health are
- Greens (including cruciferous like broccoli and cabbage)
- Nuts and seeds
The powerful compounds found in these foods are even more protective when combined. Acting together, they prevent cell damage and kill cells that cannot be adequately repaired before they become dangerous to the body. Regular consumption of these foods fuel the miraculous self-healing and self-protective properties already built into the human genome.
SuperImmunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger and Disease Free
Joel Fuhrman MD
Ancient civilizations around the world recognized certain foods had health-promoting and disease-protective benefits. Today science proves that the right raw materials and nutritional factors can double or triple the protective power of the immune system. We can supercharge our immune system to protect our bodies against disease.
When we eat lots of high-nutrient, natural plant foods (vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts and seed) we get optimal amounts of immune-protective micronutrients. Nutrition scientists demonstrate repeatedly that people who eat more natural plant foods are less likely to get sick. Populations with higher intake of vegetables have lower rates of cancer. And the longest-living populations are those with the highest consumption of plant foods. By contrast, the few plant foods we eat, the weaker our immunity and the higher our risk of getting sick.
By combining foods rich in powerful, immunity-strengthening, phytochemicals we fuel our body’s anticancer defenses and better enable the cell-killing power of the immune system to destroy invading microbes (viruses and bacteria).
Phytochemicals can help prevent most common modern diseases. They provide protective roles such as:
- Deactivating and detoxifying cancer-causing agents
- Protecting cell structures form damage by toxins
- Fueling mechanisms to repair damaged DNA sequences
- Impeding the replication of cells with DNA damage
- Inducing beneficial antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral effects
- Controlling the production of free radicals
What to Do?
- Eat more foods with a high nutrient-per-calorie density every day
- Make green smoothies a regular practice. My favorite resource is Simple Green Smoothies. I always add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed or of chia seeds.
- Add nuts or seeds (pumpkin or sunflower). I put them in our granola, oatmeal or breakfast breads. I add some chopped nuts to our grains or to our salads. Somehow I get nuts into our food ever day.
- A green and /or cruciferous (cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts slaw) salad every day. I alternate between greens (arugula, spinach, kale) and cabbage. Shredding a cabbage at the beginning of the week make it easy, I change it up by adding other veggies, nuts, and fruits. Toss with leftover grains and it become a full meal
- Teach our kids about the power of these foods. Involve them in cooking. Try the Weelicious: Smoothie Project, Get them to participate in salad experiments: 1) all one color (for example green: spinach, pea an broccoli), 2) rainbow (alternate rows of carrot, peas, chopped red bell pepper, chopped almonds, cherry tomatoes, etc, 3) textures (spinach, steamed broccoli, celery, avocado)
For More Empowerment:
Super Immunity The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger and Disease Free by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
Super Immunity for Kids: What to Feed Your Children to Keep them Healthy Now and Prevent Disease in Their Future