Something magical happens in roasting vegetables, imbuing them with an aromatic flavors and softened luscious textures. This seems especially true for Brussels sprouts. Many a person who vowed not to like Brussels sprouts has been surprised into enjoying this dish.
This blend of vegetables is not only richly flavorful, it packs a mighty nutritional boost. Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and onions are GBOMBS – a group of the most nutrient-dense, healthy promoting foods on the planet.
Joel Fuhrman, MD
- Use 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary instead of thyme and mix in as indicated
- Use 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes instead of herbs
- After roasting, add 1/2 cup finely chopped mint or parsley – or a combination of both
- For a vegan meal, serve with a quinoa pilaf with cranberries and toasted nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecan etc) and a leafy green salad.
- For a special dinner, serve with Baked Salmon with Cranberry Thyme Crust or Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Pork (if you choose this option, make the Brussels Sprouts dish with mint or parsley instead of rosemary) and a Spinach and Orange Salad.