Three reasons to love meatloafs. They are nutrient-dense, money smart and you can get two (or more) meals from them.
Nutrient Dense (nutrients per calorie)
Sustainably-sourced meat is rich in nutrients. You can make it more nutrient-dense by adding vegetables
- chopped mushrooms
- shredded carrot or zucchini
- rice cauliflower
- legumes – lentils, black beans, white beans
- herbs – cilantro, parsley, basil
- spices – cumin, turmeric, paprika and more
By adding beans, vegetables, or grains you can “stretches” one pound of ground beef twice as far. This makes sustainably-source meat more economical. Think of meat as a condiment rather than king of the plate.
Meatloaf is also time smart because you can bake at the same time with roasted vegetables. Just drizzle with olive oil mixed with minced garlic.
- broccoli, Brussels sprouts or cauliflower
- asparagus or green beans
- bell peppers
- potato and/or sweet potatoes
- other root vegetables: carrots, beets, turnips, rutabaga
The most delicious, nutritious option is to use different color veggies.
Or serve it with sweet potato puree or nutrient-rich mashed potatoes mashed with other root vegetables
- turnips, rutabaga
Or add “mix ins” to your mashed potatoes
- sautéed spinach or kale
Get additional meals with either the roasted vegetables (like grain bowls) or with the mashed potatoes (Shepherd’s Pie)
2-for-1: Jumpstart another meal
Make two and freeze one for another day. Defrost before putting in the oven
Double recipe to repurpose into another meal later in the week:
- Stuffed peppers , or zucchini “boats”, or twice-baked sweet potatoes. Add tomato sauce and fresh herbs, top with cheese
- Meatloaf tacos, quesadillas or enchiladas
- Spaghetti or chili
- Quiche or fried rice
Favorite Meatloaf Recipes
Meatloaf with Quinoa – Foodie Crush
I always use ground beef for the meatloaf with quinoa; I find the turkey meat is too dry. Or add extra Greek yogurt
What do do?
- Pick one meatloaf for a Sunday dinner and a second repurposed dinner
- Alternate Sunday dinner with either pork tenderloin or meatballs
This give you 12 weeks of two nutritious dinners a week.