There are recipes that stand the test of time. I’ve been making this one for more years that I can remember; it’s so versatile, delicious and nutritious. Fiber-rich beans are a superfood; tossed here with bell peppers, red onion and cilantro and this dish bursts with flavor and phytonutrients that boost our health.
SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods that Will Change Your Life
Steven Pratt MD and Kathy Matthews
- Use any color bell peppers, or poblano peppers
- Add 1 cup corn
- Add 1 or 2 diced avocados
- Use cilantro instead of parsley
- Use other dried fruit instead of dates
This recipe can be used so many different ways. It’s a great one to double and use differently throughout the week.
- Vegetarian dinner for guests, served over a bed of brown rice, with chopped cilantro scattered decoratively on top and accompanied by a green salad tossed with mango, nectarines or other summer fruit. For dessert Peach and Blackberry Crisp or Epicurious: Plum Kuchen
- As a side dish with grilled chicken and Watermelon Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese
- Toss leftovers with greens (spinach, kale, arugula) for lunch
- Toss leftovers with grains (quinoa, brown rice, barley) for a second dinner
- Make a wrap or pita sandwich with guacamole, or feta cheese, or a dollop of pain Greek yogurt and a handful of greens